Loki: like Prometheus, but for logs.
Loki is a horizontally-scalable, highly-available, multi-tenant log aggregation system inspired by Prometheus. It is designed to be very cost-effective and easy to operate. It does not index the contents of the logs, but rather a set of labels for each log stream.
Compared to other log aggregation systems, Loki:
- does not do full-text indexing on logs. By storing compressed, unstructured logs and only indexing metadata, Loki is simpler to operate and cheaper to run.
- indexes and groups log streams using the same labels you’re already using with Prometheus, enabling you to seamlessly switch between metrics and logs using the same labels that you’re already using with Prometheus.
- is an especially good fit for storing Kubernetes Pod logs. Metadata such as Pod labels is automatically scraped and indexed.
- has native support in Grafana (needs Grafana v6.0).
A Loki-based logging stack consists of 3 components:
- promtail is the agent, responsible for gathering logs and sending them to Loki.
- loki is the main server, responsible for storing logs and processing queries.
- Grafana for querying and displaying the logs.
Loki is like Prometheus, but for logs: we prefer a multidimensional label-based approach to indexing and want a single-binary, easy to operate system with no dependencies. Loki differs from Prometheus by focussing on logs instead of metrics and delivering logs via push, instead of pull.
We have continued our work making our API Prometheus-compatible. The key changes centered around API compatibility are:
- 1370 slim-bean: Change
- 1381 owen-d: application/x-www-form-urlencoded support
Meanwhile, @pstibrany has done great work ensuring that Loki handles hash collisions properly:
- 1247 pstibrany: pkg/ingester: handle labels mapping to the same fast fingerprint.
❤️ All PR’s are important to us, thanks everyone for continuing to help support and improve Loki! ❤️
- 1372 cyriltovena: Let Loki start when using the debug image.
- 1300 pstibrany: pkg/ingester: check that ingester is in LEAVING state when transferring chunks and claiming tokens. Required when using memberlist client.
- 1376 jstaffans: Fluentd: guard against nil values when sanitizing labels
- 1371 cyriltovena: Logql benchmark and performance improvement.
- 1363 cyriltovena: Fixes fluentd new push path API.
- 1353 pstibrany: docs: Fix grpc_listen_host and http_listen_host.
- 1350 Eraac: documentation: iam requirement for autoscaling
Copyright (C) 2018
The post Loki v1.2 releases: horizontally-scalable, highly-available, multi-tenant log aggregation system appeared first on Penetration Testing.